2013 Rady School of Management Student Venture Open @WBT
The WBT Innovation Marketplace is proud to partner with the Rady School of Management at University of California San Diego to give university graduate students the opportunity to perfect their pitch for an audience of WBT attendees. For 3 years, the WBT has hosted graduate-level business plan competitions as part of University Square at the WBT Innovation Marketplace. Student Venture Open contestants and judges receive a full conference pass and access to all WBT activities.
About the Competition
The WBT Innovation Marketplace is proud to partner with the Rady School of Management at the University of California, San Diego to give university students the opportunity to win a cash prize and present their ventures in front of an audience of WBT Innovation Marketplace attendees and potential investors
Rady School of Management Student Venture Open @WBT competition offers many advantages:
- The opportunity to connect with investors focused on university technology commercialization and strategic partners attending the WBT Innovation Marketplace conference.
- The opportunity to network with and compete against student teams from universities across the United States.
- The competition contestants and judges will receive a full conference pass and access to all WBT Innovation Marketplace activities.
- The winning team will receive an invitation to the Global Venture Labs Investment Competition at the University of Texas at Austin.
Team Composition: Members of competing teams should be enrolled students at their respective universities at the time of the competition. Non-students may be members of the team, however only students may participate in the competition. If qualified, the teams may submit their application to both the WBT Innovation Marketplace and the Rady School of Management Student Venture Open @WBT competitions.
The elevator pitch is a two minute speech that includes the essentials of a venture to sell the venture to the audience. No slides are permitted. Student teams will pitch their ventures during the evening reception. The winners will be announced at the WBT Innovation Marketplace awards luncheon.
- October 22, 2013 - Elevator Pitch Competition
Selected finalists will compete in front of a panel of judges. Each team will have 12 minutes to present their venture and three minutes for questions. The winners will be announced at the WBT Innovation Marketplace awards luncheon.
- October 23, 2013 – Rady School of Management Student Venture Open @WBT Finals
The winning team will receive a cash award and, if qualified, an invitation to the world renowned Global Venture Labs Investment Competition at the University of Texas at Austin. Please refer to the qualifying criteria at Venture Labs Investment Competition Guidelines. The first runner-up and the winner of the Elevator Pitch Competition will be also recognized.
Submit an Application to Present
The application consists of:
- An application page containing the venture name and a list of competing team members, their contact information, university affiliations and enrolment information.
- One page executive summary describing the venture.
- Ten slide pitch with describing the team, technology, market need/opportunity, customer and customer feedback, go-to-market strategy, competition and competitive advantage, financials and fundraising needs and future plans.
Please submit your application by email to LRasochova@ucsd.edu by August 15, 2013. Finalists will be notified by September 15, 2013.
Rady School of Management Student Venture Open @WBT sponsorships are available for $1,000, $5,000 and $10,000. Please contact Lada Rasochova for sponsorship information at 858-926-8213 or email LRasochova@ucsd.edu
For more information contact:
Lada Rasochova, Ph.D., MBA
Managing Director, Rady Venture Fund
Director, California Institute for Innovation and Development
Rady School of Management at UC San Diego